Sunday, April 29, 2012

Busy Bee

I've been busy this past week, trying to check things off my to-do list.  I feel pretty positive overall with what I've been able to accomplish.  I have a number of cozies blocked or in the process of being blocked on my ironing board (blocking is the process where you wet your finished piece and pin it into the shape you want it to dry in - it gives the crocheted/knitted piece a more finished look.)  My desk area distinctly smells of wet wool, but the end result is worth the trouble.





I finished a number of projects this week and have a total of 40 finished pieces!  I have a couple more that shouldn't take much work to finish and I just uncovered another pile of 1/2 finished hair pieces that just need buttons sewn on.  I still have two weeks left, so I'm feeling great about meeting my goal of 50 pieces.  Getting my fabric labels sewn on each piece is another story but I'll worry about that later.


Since I worked hard finishing up old pieces, I let myself have some fun tonight and play with new yarn.  I've been wanting to make something with this yarn for months and I'm really hooked on the coin purses w/ clasp handles I finished this week.  I tried it combined with a black yarn and a grey yarn and I think I'm going to work it with a turquoise yarn next!  (I realize I may be the only person excited about using the different colored yarns, but that's ok.  I agonized for 10 minutes in Jo-ann's the other day about what embroidery floss to get for one of my coin purses - they just didn't have the perfect shade of reddish-orange with a touch of brown!)  I'm out of purse handles, so they'll have to wait a few days before I can finish them.


On top of all that crazy crocheting, I started working on my table setup.  I've bought fabric for my table and some display cases to show my work off.  I also did a mock setup - 8 feet by 30" is a big area to cover with little crocheted pieces.  The biggest thing I did this week, though, had nothing to do with yarn or fabric....

I bought a cell phone, and not just any cell phone, an iPhone!  This statement may seem less than exciting if you don't know me, but I haven't had a cell phone for about four years, so it's pretty huge.  I've been thinking about getting one for a while and I really really wanted to take credit card payments at the mini maker faire, so voila, I bought a phone.  I also signed up for Square and they're sending me my credit card swipe thing in the mail.  It's funny that something as seemingly old fashioned as crochet has brought me so fully into the 21st century.  Most of my online presence is due to crochet - website/blog/twitter/etsy, the crochet classes I teach are scheduled through a website, and now I have a smartphone.  A big thanks to women of yore who wanted to make lace cheaply and so crochet was born - you're the reason I have an iphone now. 

1 comment:

  1. You with an iPhone cracks me up! Text me ur number!! Welcome to the era of technology!

    ReplyDelete